Taco, the Cat Jekyll and Hyde. Part 2.
So now you know why Taco is the devil incarnate. But for every evil, there is a good. Taco kinda takes both sides to the limit. He’s not big on moderation.
Taco’s saving graces:
- He doesn’t just sit down. He hurls himself onto the floor. It’s a melodramatic “WHUMP!”
- He melts. I have never seen a more melty cat. When he lays down he BECOMES whatever he’s laying on.
- He snuggles with me at night. I’ll wake up to find him stretched alongside me, at which point I have to start petting him because he’s so damn cute. Then he starts purring, which wakes Jason up because he’s like a motorboat. This is a point of contention between us, I find it soothing. Last night he melted on my chest. This MAY be why I am so tired today — who can sleep with a PURRING KITTY PUDDLE on you?
- He purrs all the time. I love it.
- He happy meows. Whenever you touch him, he does this thing that is a mix between purring, meowing, and that weird “MRRRRP” noise cats do. My favorite is when he does it when he’s half asleep, it turns into a gurgling yawn.
- When he sniffs the floor, he comes back up with his mouth slightly open.
- He can jump chest high. Literally. And when he does, he hurls himself into the air with absolutely no control, getting sideways and shit. He once hit his head on the bottom of the counter. It also makes for some very awkward landings.
- We think he’s part bengal. His fur is, as my vet called it, luminescent. His colors are so vivid. From afar he looks like a regular brown tabby but when you get up close you can see how beautiful he is (I realize I am like every other mother in the world who thinks their child is the best, don’t care, I’m right).
- He’s the alpha male of the house, even though Moosh is bigger and older.
- Despite his alpha male status, he’s a pussy at the vet. He shakes the whole time.
- When he and Moosh fight, it’s like watching the Matrix.
- He can catch bugs like no other. Sometimes even at the expense of a stinger in the mouth.
- He is chock full of personality.
- He has a little freckle on his left temple.
- He hates when Moosh sniffs his butt. I do too. It’s so unbecoming.
- When he jumps on the bed, he usually does it with a full running start, a meow and a leap. Sometimes he overshoots.
- He has a brush-like thing shaped like an arch that is meant for the cats to rub on and therefore remove loose hair, but Taco puts his head upside down (JUST his head) and chomps on it. No clue why he needs to do it upside down or how it could possibly feel good in his mouth.
- Did I mention the melty thing? God, he’s cute. I mean, really cute.
At the end of the day, the cute thing is probably what saves his ass. Oh, and I love him. Jason does too, when he’s not giving him the silent treatment for peeing on the couch.
The ‘open mouth thing’ is called the flehmen response – it is used to help get scents to the Jacobson’s Organ, a chemical receptor in the roof of the mouth.
My cat Julius Caesar, a lanky tabby much like yours, also does the ‘melt’ a lot. I don’t think mine is anything more than a high energy outlier on the normal cal trait list, though.
Really? I suppose I should have realized there was a reason for it but it never occurred to me to find out what it was.
Thanks for sharing and reading!